Saturday, August 23, 2008

I Miss Israel!

Its been a year and a half since I was in Israel. The time previous to that was in June/July of 2006. Now, its been longer than the time span of my two trips apart from each other, and I really miss Her.

I would be there now, perhaps to live the rest of my life, if I had my BA degree - but I'm working on it! I want to finish my degree before I go to Israel in order to better my opportunities for a successful life there, should I choose to remain there. But in the meantime, I think of Israel often, and of how I felt there. I try to keep those memories alive - of the people, of the scenery, of the dusk falling on the Meditteranean, the hills of Sejera, and the sun rising over Jerusalem - of the Jerusalem stone changing from a hue of pinkish peach to yellow to flat sunlit to golden yellow. Especially luminous in my mind is the sun going down in Zvat, putting the sky to sleep and a blanket over the beautiful hilltops. And hearing Hebrew spoken everywhere.

Where I can, I try to capture the aroma of Israel, to breath it in as deeply as possible, to the extent possible. Recently I discovered the Blog written by Jessica Fishman, a young gal originally from Minnesota who made Aliyah about five years ago. She desribes the emotional journey leading to her yearning to make Aliyah, much of which I feel in an eerily similar way. It was therapeutic for me to read what she has published. As I read what she wrote, I had the feeling of, "Yes, that's it exactly!" You can read it for yourself
here.

No comments: