Tuesday, August 26, 2008

An "Every-Man"?

Is he or isn't he? That is the question some of Charlie Rose's panel guests suggest Barak Obama will need to answer - not necessarily for the delegates at the Democratic National Convention (DNC) in Denver - but for the American Middle Class, immediately following the DNC and leading up to the Election.

I'm not sure I agree with that. First, what exactly is an "Every-Man"(EM)? Is it a man who has sex with a woman? Is it a man who never puts down the toilet seat? Is it a man who takes the train to work to a job he's only recently acquired because he was downsized from his previous employer after fifteen years of productive and faithful service? Even if those were only a few characteristics of an "EM", I can't recall in my lifetime there ever being an "EM" as President of the United States. While GWB may have pretended to be an "EM", we all knew he wasn't. I mean, what "EM" is a member of Skull and Bones, basically gets a pass through the Air National Guard, buys a baseball team, and who's father is a former President?

So, the question in my mind remains; why does Barak Obama need to prove he's an "EM". Another question that comes to mind is; Is that what I want in my President - an "EM"? My answer is a resounding, NO! The last person I want in the white house is someone who doesn't know the Atlantic Ocean from the Pacific Ocean, thinks Israel is a parking lot for F-16s and troop transports, and is sleeping off a hang-over on Sunday morning.

Now, if, in fact, an "EM" is a person who has risen to challenges, navigated adversity, worked hard to achieve his or her goals, and can sincerely empathize with those who are, or who have in the past, then I think Barak Obama is an "EM". If an "EM" is someone who is thoughtful about his environment and the people in it, desires to address the contentious issues that affect this nation and determine its' place in this world, then I think Barak Obama is an "EM". If an "EM" is someone who feels capable of leading us as a nation to help us truly transcend devisive issues that plague us as human beings, then I think Barak Obama might be an "EM". And in that case, perhaps I would like an "EM" as my President. What do you think?

No comments: