Sunday, August 24, 2008

Facinating....

That's how I refer to the process in which children acquire knowledge. I'm writing here about my nieces and nephew. They've been talking now for some time - they're ages three to six. But the words they're using are incredible....

The other day, my brother explained that Ben, my nephew, used the word "inferno". And it was in context. He just turned six. I would have used the word "fire" at his age - but that's just me, I'm "old school"! My nephew is always talking - always! And the cool part is he doesn't always require someone to actually listen to what he's saying. He's perfectly content to give voice to his imagination at will - absolutely no inhibitions.

While I was in NYC to visit my other brother, I went for a walk with my sister in-law and my niece, Lily. She's three. While at the playground, she found a sand bucket. I asked her if she was going on an acorn expedition. I don't remember having had any expectation in asking her that question. Maybe I expected her to warily stare at me in the 95 degree heat - like that of a desert nomad taking in a mirage - and say, "yes". When she confirmed with confidence and perfect articulation; "I'm going on an acorn expedition", it gave me the senasation of what, I presume, it MUST feel like to get zapped with one of those laser guns on Star Trek.....

In reflecting back on these children as hours old, then six months, then two years old, etc., it's truly a wonder to me how that growth takes place - what a fantastic and facinating process!

No comments: